It’s that time of year again, when party invitations start pouring into your mailbox (and inbox!). With family gatherings, girls’ nights out, your office party and that New Year’s Eve bash, there are countless occasions to play dress-up. Here is our selection of the top trends and best looks for celebrating in style.
Now is the time to overhaul your daily regimen. No matter your skin type, switch to gentle formulas that are ultra-nourishing. Hydration is a must to protect your face from the cold’s bitter bite. It is also a good idea to add a few new treats to your routine, including targeted solutions like moisturizing masks and face oils.
1. A nourishing mask with honey extracts to quench dry skin. Simply apply the sheet, which is drenched in hydrating ingredients, for 15 minutes.
2. A highly hydrating cream that melts in the skin. It also provides protection against pollution.
3. A lightweight yet powerful gel that boosts skin’s hydration instantly and helps maintain its moisture balance for up to 24 hours.
4. A luxurious salve enriched with acacia honey and rosehip seed oil that will calm and plump dry lips.
5. A light oil that can be used to moisturize both oily and combination skin. Soothing and nourishing, it also gently purifies thanks to its natural astringent effect.
6. An innovative moisturising gel that smooth and plumps skin, enhances radiance and helps prevent signs of aging.
1. Honey Face Mask, Fruits & Passion, $3 / 2. Hydra-Essentiel Rich Cream, Clarins at Hudson’s Bay, $46 / 3. Moisture Surge Hydrating supercharged concentrate, Clinique at Hudson’s Bay, $46 / 4. Absolue Precious Cells Nourishing Lip Balm Honey-in-Rose, Lancôme at Hudson’s Bay, $50 / 5. Lotus Face Treatment Oil, Clarins at Hudson’s Bay, $57 / 6. Blue Therapy Cream-in-Oil, Biotherm at Hudson’s Bay, $96
Buried under layers of clothing, the skin on your body is nevertheless susceptible to winter’s drying effects. Stay ahead of the skin-care curve by using a gentle scrub on a regular basis and applying a moisturiser immediately after a bath or shower. Don’t forget to give your hands and feet some TLC, since they are prone to crack and flake through the winter, too.
1. A nourishing oil enriched with oat extract to use in the shower on damp skin.
2. A nourishing oil gentle enough for sensitive skin and those prone to psoriasis or eczema.
3. A refreshing scrub that both exfoliates and moisturizes. Hot tip: apply before your body cream to maximize its benefits.
4. This refreshing cream, enriched with urea and peppermint, helps regenerate the foot’s moisture barrier.
5. A rejuvenating hand cream with a crisp scent (featuring sage, citrus zest and bergamot) that leaves a protective yet non-greasy film.
6. A decadently rich body butter that’s surprisingly quick to absorb, it will even soothe stubbornly dry elbows and knees.
1. Shower Oil Care Very Dry Skin, Yves Rocher, $17 / 2. Zizyphus Caviar Soothing Concentrated Oil, Dans un Jardin, $29.95 / 3. Exfoliating Body Scrub for Smooth Skin, Clarins at Hudson’s Bay, $45 / 4. Repairing Foot Cream Pieshü, Fruits & Passion, $10.50 / 5. Nourishing Hand Butter Blue Sage, Cucina at Fruits & Passion, $12.50 / 6. Nutrix Royal Body Intense Nourishing & Restoring Body Butter, Lancôme at Hudson’s Bay, $57
Winter takes a toll on your hair, thanks to dry air, heat styling and static-inducing hats and toques. Before you know it, you’re stuck with flyaways, split ends and a serious lack of volume. The ultimate solution for your cold-weather mane mishaps? Lightweight, moisturising formulas that won’t weigh your tresses down.
1. A styling product specifically designed to protect hair from blow-dryer heat, it also repairs and fortifies damaged hair while boosting shine.
2. A smoothing serum that fights frizz and works on both straight and curly hair. It also leaves a long-lasting silky finish.
3. A multi-tasking treatment that repairs, protects, smooths and prevents split ends, it also makes detangling and styling easier while adding volume and shine.
4. A cleansing agent inspired by the “no ‘poo” trend, this new way to wash hair relies on a gentle formula without the lather.
5. A nourishing formula that targets both the scalp and hair. Use it on dry hair as a pre-shampoo treatment.
6. A silicone-free mask that works in three minutes to deeply hydrate dry hair, leaving it smooth, silky and a breeze to style.
1. Absolut Repair Lipidium Reconstructing and Protecting Blow-Dry Cream, Série Expert, L’Oréal Professionnel at de Neuville coiffure et spa, $24 / 2. Techniart Liss Control + Intense Control Smoothing Serum, L’Oréal Professionnel at de Neuville coiffure et spa, $30.50 / 3. Incredible Milk Leave-in Treatment, Milk Shake at Trade Secrets, $28 / 4. Delicate Cleansing Cream Low Shampoo, Yves Rocher, $5.95 / 5. Hair repair oil, Yves Rocher, $8.95 / 6. Nutrifier Glycerol Nourishing system melting masque, Série Expert, L’Oréal Professionnel at de Neuville coiffure et spa, $33.50